Pollution in Latino communities

Students recycle their bottles in classrooms at Miramar.

Diana Estrada

This year, we noticed a lot more pollution in the air because of the wildfires near Los Angeles. But pollution is actually an ongoing problem in Los Angeles. Air pollution has terrorized the U.S for many years.

Diana Estrada

Not surprisingly the areas with the worst air pollution are those around large cities. Because of the crowded city conditions and the large amount of traffic, these areas maintain dangerous levels of ozone all year. California has the most cities with pollution despite the steps it has taken to ensure cleaner air for the residents of the state.

Researchers at the National Resource Defense Council  show that the Latino communities in Los Angeles have been hit the hardest.

According to the NRDC, Latinos find themselves among some of the most impacted communities, suffering greatly under the costs of health care, lost days of school, missed work days, and ultimately, lives lost due to the life threatening contaminants in our air.

As of 2008, 4.7 million Hispanics had been diagnosed with asthma in their lifetime.

A student from Miramar gave his point of view in solving pollution.

“A way we can prevent pollution is by using nuclear energy safely and manipulating it to help the world,” said sophomore Brian Menjivar. Nuclear energy is very dangerous to use but is really useful in helping lower pollution in communities.

Other solutions are on students’ minds as to how to prevent or solve the problem of pollution.

“One way we can solve is by throwing trash in a trash bin or where it belongs, and being mindful about recycling,” said sophomore Derick Gonzalez.