Students explain ways to relieve stress

Brian Poblete, Staff Writer

In high school, some days are more difficult than others, and students can become stressed. This can cause students to not eat, which causes headaches and sleep deprivation. We students are stressed out by homework, classwork, and tests. In order to succeed in school, we need ways to release this stress, and so I’ve researched various ways to loosen up the body and relieve this stress.

1. Exercise is a great example of stress relief because it helps improve mental health and mood. Exercising can pump up your feel-good endorphins and other natural neural chemicals that enhance your sense of well-being. Exercise can also refocus your mind on your body’s movements, which can improve your mood and help the day’s irritations fade away.
  2. Another effective method is going to sleep early. According to the article “Stress Relievers: Tips to Relieve Stress” by the Mayo Clinic, “the quality and amount of sleep you get can affect your mood, energy level, concentration and overall functioning.” Sleep can control your mood, so it’s important to get enough.

Senior Jancarlos Ortiz has many strategies to address stress. “When I’m stressed, I think about my family, I listen to music, and I think about my goals to make me feel better,” he said. “Something that stresses me are the days and things you can’t control, and you have to adapt to overcome.”

Brandon Deagueros, a freshman, has different strategies. “ To calm my stress down, I stress eat.” He added, “Something that stresses me are family problems, school, and relationship problems with friends and stuff.”

These are some ways that students relieve stress, and not everyone relieves the stress the same. If these methods prove ineffective to you, you can go to the Official Mayo Clinic website to get more tips to relieve stress that work for you.